Monday, May 05, 2008

Place


Although my time here has been short, I have come to really enjoy the area I am living. The 10 acres is pretty secluded from town and, being on top of a hill, overlooks the whole area. I was finally able to catch a sunrise and it was better than advertised. The coffee wasn’t too bad either!

The property here consists of 3 children’s homes, a church, a medical clinic, a bath house, a guest house, food shelter, 52 orphans, 3 “moms”, a pastor and his family, 5 goats, 3 pigs, a bunch of chickens, a soccer pitch, and a partridge in a pear tree. The pictures here are a glimpse of what the property looks like. I actually walked around and took them when the kids were off getting their haircuts so, unfortunately, there is no one in the pictures. I also knew that if I tried to get the kids to take a few that it would lead to massive confusion! However, the Dycks have returned for the week and the team arrived yesterday. They have already taken some images that I will try to procure.

Greenery & Food Shelter


Guest House

Church & Medical Clinic


Regulation Goal


A couple of quick stories and then I will be off. I went on Friday to the airport to pick Nigel, a team member from the church, up. I haven’t gotten used to driving on the other side of the road yet so I also hired a driver. While getting ready to go he had mentioned just how bad the drivers and roads were here. I was surprised somewhat and mentioned that I hadn’t seen anything too horrible. He told me it was just a matter of time. Sure enough, as we were heading to the airport, we not only nearly ran over a jaywalker who wasn’t paying attention, we also saw a huge truck clip a bicycle overloaded with massive leaves, sending the bike and cyclist flying. He seemed to be pretty shaken up but otherwise alright.


As those who have been here know, most everyone walks or travels by boda (motorcycle). A boda can get you into town and back for a couple of bucks and, depending on the driver, a sore back or a conversation about whether there is AIDS in Canada. The bodas also are used to transport material. Well, while the team is here this week we are doing a care and compassion day. I was asked to pick up mattresses from town so that we could give them out. I asked about transport and Jeff said to get the bodas to bring them up, adding that I would need only one. Sure enough, the driver brought up all six on one trip and when I asked how many he could carry if he had to he said that, on one occasion, he took nearly a dozen! Did I mention that I saw an axel break on a truck a couple of days ago because it was overloaded?

More to come…..

1 Responses (Leave a Comment):

Sara said...

Ahh Shaun, praying for you!

Seeing those pictures made my heart skip a beat, and I'll be thinking of PPCC all day! Thanks for this. Take care!