Friday, July 25, 2008

Canadian Family Dycks


I had the privilege of going to visit a family from my home church that spent four months here in mpigi and are now spending three years at a large school/medical/community planning center in another district of the country. It was a privilege as it gave me time to talk with those who have shared this experience and, frankly, gave me some time to recharge. Jeff is the kind of guy that I can sit down and have a beer with, Shannon is very kind and a great cook, and their four kids are full of life but each in a unique way.

Here is Jeff with Kato (from Mpigi):



Here is Shan with Christine (from Mpigi) and their new daughter in the background:


Here is Shan with the kids at their home:



So, I traveled to their home last week, which involved three “taxi” transfers, chickens tied underfoot, and no English until Jeff picked me up halfway. Oh, I also experienced my first bone dry engine breakdown. Jeff had borrowed a truck that, I guess, the owner had not checked the coolant of in a long time. So, that was interesting.

The Dycks live at what I can only describe as a large compound. As I mentioned, it is a school for over 800 sponsored children, a trade school, a large medical clinic, and a community services center which includes a micro loan program. They are a bit more developed than here in mpigi and I was able to relax with hot water!, a freezer with food, and wireless internet. I apologize as I didn’t take many pics…



A couple of stories:

Jeff loves football and has played since he was young. He is in charge of all the building projects and, therefore, was invited to play on the builder’s football team. (That and he buys all the biscuits and drinks) When I was there they had a game against the teachers.

This is a big rivalry as Jeff explained to me that last game the teachers walked off the field because they felt the builders were putting a new player on the field who was a ringer (which he wasn’t). In response, after the referee settled the teachers down, the builders themselves walked off the field in protest. All over a friendly game, I love it!

So, normally I would root for the teachers except that the builders are considered the lesser class, the untrustworthy, the “bad guys”. This was apparent at the game as most of the 200 people watching were rooting for the teachers. So, I ended up rooting for the builders and, thanks to Jeff’s two goals, they won 3-0. Did I mention some players on their team don’t have shoes? It was a great night as all of us were laughing and having a good time.

Can you spot Jeff?

The second day I was there I was sitting under a tree reading when an older mzunugu man came running up shouting that there is a large fire and the bees are in danger of being destroyed. The bees? And you are who to order me to fight your forest fire?

Luckily, Jeff came over when he heard the commotion and explained, as he handed me a broomstick, that there was brushfire and the man had sponsored a honey project a couple of years back. He said I was welcome to relax as there were other people already on their way. “No way,” I told him, “count me in.”

So we were off. Yes, there was a fire. And, yes, it was spreading. But, fortunately, it was almost out when we got there. And the brooms? I cannot stress this enough. Don’t try to fight a fire with a broom, especially just a broom handle. After the excitement, we had to laugh as we did see people breaking branches off of trees as they were heading towards the blaze but were too ignorant with our "tools". The branches worked much better.

What else did I learn as an ignorant mzunugu? Don’t fight fire while standing downwind. Also, trust your gut when another mzunugu comes running to you in a panic. The fire was at least a kilometer away from his prized bees.

3 Responses:

Dyck Family said...

Look at those crazy parents with a baby in the front seat!! Only in Africa:) THANKS Shaun, you are welcome here Anytime!
Shan

Anonymous said...

Shaun....I look almost daily for a new post...you are not writing to yourself!!! Sounds like you're having lots of neat experiences!! Can't believe you'll be home soon...you can come have your culture shock at our home when you're back and we'll listen to you process:) Hi to the kids for me..i'll send another email soon!!! Look forward to having you home.....sad I won't be able to live vicariously through you:)
love trac and the gang.....

B + J said...

i can't believe you are almost coming home.
it's amazing how many stories every day holds for you there.
oh, and people are around... some of us just prefer to creep.