Saturday, June 21, 2008

Two Months In

Being halfway through my stay here is both encouraging and scary. It is encouraging in the fact that I feel at home at this point and scary that I only have two months left to learn and teach. I am only beginning to be seen as someone who lives here and not a visitor. I was at the market recently and was encouraged when someone started a conversation with me in Lugandan. When I said I didn’t understand, they were surprised as they commented that I looked like someone who has been here a few years. I still don’t know what a Mzungu looks like after a few years but, hey, I took it as a compliment..

To mark the halfway point I though I would empty out some things that have been tumbling around as I experience this unique culture.

Why did I give up playing soccer when I was young?

Black Mambas can be huge.

Why is Coke in glass bottles just that much better?

Ask questions. Lots of questions. Everywhere.

Why do we no longer build houses with front porches?

The amount you know of, or are trying to learn, a language seems to be correlated to the amount you are accepted by the culture.

How many fruits and vegetables does one really need to eat in a day?

We can learn a lot from Ugandans about conserving fuel.

Ants are incredibly adaptive.

What is a young, single guy doing in a culture that respects age and family?

Be in the present.

Humor does not translate well.

What does greed look like when you have next to nothing?

I still hate email skimming (even thought I am at times guilty of it).

Rain in Mpigi is like Snow in Vancouver.

Meat is a luxury.

They don’t kiss here?! but men hold hands regularly?

Be thankful Canadian preachers aren’t yellers.

I hate mosquitoes.

How much should we allow ourselves to be a slave to time and schedules?

Children are a gift.

How important is education in a country with extremely high unemployment?

I was addicted to media.

As one tries to love all of humanity, can it make it harder for them to love an individual person?

People are people.

What is our daily bread?

1 Responses (Leave a Comment):

Unknown said...

Shaun, what an interesting adventure! Your computer mind really works great dredging up games and tricks and probably creating new ones for the kids.

If meat is a luxury, what is the average breakfast, lunch, dinner or snack? Do you no prefer Ungundan food or are taste buds still Amerianized?

After Geoff and Rick moved out, Glenn Mc. and son from Peace Portal moved in. Also great tenants.

Looking forward to learning more of your present lifestyle as seen through your eyes.

Keep healthy and keep away from bugs.

Ingrid